Monday, September 15, 2008

Some (Brilliant) Ideas

I was brainstorming different approaches I could take with my project (Teaching children about the environment so that they care about it enough to live sustainable and healthy lives, because a huge part of BC's culture comes from the environment. It's what makes BC special and different.)

I thought about using materials from the environment, but that's just one formal aspect of my project and has nothing to do with the concept. Wood. Plants. Flowers.

Ownership: What makes people feel like they own things? What do I own?
My identity, my $$, my freedom, my family and friends, my pets, my stuff, my music, my laptop, my art
Why do I feel like I own it?
I bought it.
I wanted it.
I just had it. It was given to me. or I earned it through actions.

The GIFT of owning your identity. Earned through actions that you did.
- I could organize an activity like planting a tree and I could design a gift to give each child, like a toy, a book, a t-shirt, a plant to take home,
or an art project.
- The child could monitor the growth of a plant. (I did this in kindergarten)

Kindergarten: I learned about the senses. How to read.
My kindergarten teacher wrote in my report card that I easily learned "Sight words" like colours, the Sound/Symbol relationship of writing, the structure of a word and the sequences of numbers to 20.
Since my audience will have a big factor in my project, what if I incorporated the senses - Sight, sound, taste, touch and smell. to my project.
(Or what if I created an instruction manual for kids to learn from?)
Instruction, Colour, Sound, Symbols (Sounds are very important for when it's read aloud to a child!!) (Ex. Dr Seuss) Include a pattern kids can pick up on, like page one has words that start with the letter A, page two is B,...

Ownership - Daily Rituals - Growth of a plant. Journal. Reading at bedtime.
Role Playing. Create your own book of scenarios, like a game of Dungeons and Dragons.

Dungeons and Dragons. How it works:
You have a Dungeon Master (DM) who is the storyteller and the referee. DM describes the setting and potential choices.
You solve dilemmas and engage in battle or gather treasure and knowledge to earn experience points.
Adventure. Campaign.

Required, Character sheets and dice.

Idea 01: What if I designed a kids book that is like a game of dungeons and dragons, but instead of warlocks and monsters, I'll use BC's animals and BC's settings. The scenarios would be BC related and you could try to save the environment or make a journey or something that would give kids the chance to make choices. Kids could choose a character, roll the dice, go through the book with their parents and they could do it again the next night because the story would be changing.
Explanation of characters (BC animals), Explain setting (BC), Choose to go somewhere,... and keep track of score. Add pop up elements or miniature people with personalities and names.

Next, I want to investigate why people don't care very much about the environment and BC.

No comments: