Saturday, October 11, 2008

Bog research

The photos below of just some of the pictures I took in the bog yesterday. I wanted to collect details of small things, like mushrooms and ferns, and larger pictures of the entire landscape. I noticed a lot of variety in plants. Parts of the bog are just like a forest. Other parts are full of shrubs but no trees. Some parts are full of ferns and plants on the ground and other parts don't see enough sun so the ground is just dirt and pine needles.

The ground is surprisingly squishy when you walk on it. It would be a great terrain for jogging.

In the Delta Nature Reserve, the bog is similar to a forest, not a bog. The centre of the bog is different because large trees don't grow there and the ground is firm but like jelly when you jump. Unfortunately, the centre of the bog is off limits. I went there on a hike about ten years ago but now, it is virtually unaccessable. What was frowned upon is now impossible. I tried yesterday, but couldn't find the trails that used to exist. I think that that sucks because the centre of the bog is a really unusual place that would be exciting for kids to visit if they could.

No comments: