Friday, October 10, 2008

Next step

Some of the things I learned from the presentation:

Talk to kids and find out what they really like and value. What I'm worried about is that I'll spend a lot of time with kids and get bogged down in it (because it's time consuming and kids like to do things their way, not mine). Then I'll try to learn something insightful from the time I spent with them, but I won't find anything new. I'm not around kids, but I babysat some, I have a young cousin, and I was one (I think I still am one, actually). So how much time do I need to spend with kids (in a classroom, say)? I am interested in spending some time in a kid's book store. I've never heard of the bookstore mentioned in class, so I'm going to go there this weekend hopefully. It will give me a chance to see kids with books and also what kinds of books are out there. I checked out the kids books at my local library and it had a pitiful selection.

I'm going to make the project fun, not preachy. That was why I wanted to do it in the first place, so I'm glad that I can now, finally start figuring out the entertaining content. I'm going to go into the bog and take pictures today. I've gotta find I way into the centre of the bog... it's really hard to get to and might be blocked off. I'm going to ask someone at the Burns Bog society how far and where can I go in the bog? Inspired by Maggie's project, I'm going to take all the content I find interesting about the bog and make it cool.

I think I'll be successful in this project if I get kids to want to help the environment and save the bog. Also, to treat it respectfully and lessen the impact on it by living sustainable lives.

No comments: