Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Kids books

I went to the kids section of Chapters and looked around. There are some cool books out there! A lot of them use really fancy printing techniques that I don't have the budget for - like sparkly bits, pop up elements (although I could do that if I wanted to...), glow in the dark stuff, dye cuts, dolls, puzzles, etc. But some are lacking good storytelling, which I feel is very important. Especially as a bedtime story, it needs to have a great story not just fun little sparkly things to play with.

The books that I loved were the ones I remember from my childhood like Dr Seuss, Fairy tales (even the Disney ones are good), Shel Silverstein, Robert Munsch and Roald Dahl. I noticed that the illustrations for Dr Seuss and Shel Silverstein are very simple (lots of white space) but fanciful and fun. I think that's the direction I want to go in (with a little bit of the Gothic fantasy woven into it). I didn't notice any books about the environment, but I'll have to look a bit more to find it...

No comments: